The Office of Deputy Vice-Chancellor (DVCRI) UTM Kuala Lumpur was established in 2016. This office is in charge of administration, finance and human resource management of the centres of excellence and supporting units under its wing in UTM KL. The purposes of the initial establishment of this office are:
- To have research and Innovation support which covered the related tasks in DVCRI office, Research Management Centre (RMC), Innovation and Commercialisation Centre (ICC), Centre for Community and Industry Network (CCIN), and University Laboratory Management Unit (UPMU).
- To maximally optimise human resources
- To create research secretariats that could help UTM KL researchers
- To make these secretariats as mediator to UTM stakeholders in KL
- To motivate the research culture among the UTM KL researchers
Upon its establishment, this office temporarily resides in the office of ICC. Later in February 2018, this office was relocated to another building at J3 block in UTM KL, a renovated office space dedicated to have all of its supporting units including UPMU, ICC, RMC and CCIN under one roof. This new office space was officially initiated during the opening ceremony by the Vice-Chancellor of UTM himself, Professor Ir. Dr. Wahid Omar in April 2018.