Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) began in 1904 as Treacher Technical School at Weld Road (currently known as Jalan Raja Chulan), Kuala Lumpur. The founding institution was aimed at teaching Technical Assistants for the Federated Malays States Department of Railways, Survey and Public Works.
In 1941, the Advisory Committee of Technical Schools and the Education Department recommended that the Technical School be promoted to a College status. Hence, a new Technical College was proposed to be constructed on a 47 acre piece of government land in Gurney Road (currently known as Jalan Semarak), Kuala Lumpur. The plan for the construction of the College was delayed due to the World War II. The Technical College was officially opened on 1 March, 1955 by the British High Commissioner, Sir Donald MacGilivray.
On 14 March, 1972, the DYMM Seri Paduka Baginda Yang di Pertuan Agong officially proclaimed the formation of Institut Teknologi Kebangsaan (National Institute of Technology) under section 6(1) of the University and University College Act 1971. The new institution inherited all the basic amenities of the former Technical College, of Gurney Road. It was another milestone in history when ITK was upgraded into a University status and officially declared as Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) on 1 April, 1975.
In line with the new status, the University began to concentrate largely on developing its faculties. The University then moved to its current Main Campus is Skudai, Johor which was officially opened on 16 September 1985 by the late His Majesty Sultan Iskandar ibni Almarhum Sultan Ismail.
Subsequently, the Jalan Semarak Campus or the UTM KL campus was established as the branch Campus of UTM until present. Although physically separated from the main campus in Skudai, UTM KL Campus is aligned with the University’s mission and vision as it serves the needs and demands of the various stakeholders. Realizing the importance of the location in the midst of Kuala Lumpur, the UTM KL Campus later adopted the City Campus credentials on April 2003.
In line with the Ministry of Higher Education’s initiative to transform Malaysia into a world class educational hub, the University has duly acknowledged that the City Campus is the “Knowledge Window to the Nation” hence, has adopted the status of the International Campus since 2008 to date.
In 2012, UTM IC has changed its name once again becoming Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Kuala Lumpur (UTM KL).